Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Nissan/Datsun Terrano 2: , We've recently bought a Nissan

Customer Question

Hi, We've recently bought a Nissan terrano 2005 and have had no end of problems. The central locking isn't working so we cant open the boot - a bit inconvenient as we have 2 huge prams to carry - can you help ???
We have to lock and unlock all the doors manually so I'm not sure if the alarm is being activated.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.the central locking is not working even from the switch inside the car?if you use the key mechanically to open, do all doors and boot open? or each door opens alone?did you check for any blown fuses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The button inside the car doesn't work. We have to open each door manually.
The boot doesn't open at all.
We have 2 keys, 1 I think needs reprogramming and the other seems to want to work but doesn't lock or unlock the car.
We've taken it to 3 people now none of whom have fixed it.
Hope you can help
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Let's start by checking for any blown fuses. As the system is not operating even when the switch inside the car is pressed. So it is not only an issue of keys of fob. Usually such problems are caused by a Multifunction control module software fault. This would need updating, and would work.But having checked the fuses, and if none are blown, then next, i would replace the battery in the key fob, and try resynching the key fob (i will attach the details on how to replace the battery and to resynch).Kindly get back to me with the results.regards,Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Billy,We checked for blown fuses and they all seem fine.
The key does appear to activate and deactivate the alarm but it does not unlock the doors.
The switch inside doesn't unlock the doors either. You literally have to manually flick the lock on each door to open and close which is a real pain. The back door doesn't have a manual lock so we can't open it at all.
How would we go about finding out if it is a multifunction control module software fault ? And how would we fix that ?
Thank You for your help
Lisa
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
To confirm the control module fault, i would remove the driver's door panel, and check if getting power supply to the driver's door lock.
If there is power supply there, then this lock needs replacing.
If not, and the wiring of the locks is good, then you need to check the multifunction module.
In this case, this would need a nissan dealer as they have the tools and the updated software which needs uploading to the vehicle.
Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further info is needed.
Regards,
Billy