K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

Land Rover 88 SWB: I got a Land Rover series 3 from 1979. It

Customer Question

I got a Land Rover series 3 from 1979. It have drum brakes all the way around. It have not been running for 3 years but before that.it have the brake cylinders replaced.
I am about to take it.for a bi yearly MOT inspection, but it pulls to the left when I brake and quite a lot.
I can make to left front whell block at 10 mph but not the right front wheel.
I have tried to adjust the brakes at the screw on the back of the anchor plate, but without success.
How do I diagnose and pin point excatly what is wrong or needs to be changed..
I don't want to starte from one end and just changing out components and finally having changed the hole assembly
It have to be noted that the left bearings or a bit worked but adjusted accordingly to eliminate any play.
Thanks
Søren
Category: UK Car
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello, it's best to start by checking a few simple things. Make sure the backing plate on the left is clean and lube the pivot points where the brake shoes move. If that and adjustment does not resolve the problem the next place to look at would be spring fatigue of the brake shoe hardware and going ahead and replaicing them. This will cause one side to move easier than another. Let me know what you find and we can work further if needed.