Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

L200 warrior: mike I have a mitsubishi l200 warrior 53 plate

Customer Question

Hi mike I have a mitsubishi l200 warrior 53 plate pickup there's a knocking noise coming from the engine any ideas what it might be? Thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'd first try removing the auxiliary drive belt and turning every pulley and ancillary (power steering pump , alternator etc) by hand. All should turn easily (with the exception of the AC pump) with no grittyness or wobbly pulleys- If you do find a sticky pump / alternator then it should be replaced or repairedIf the engine is stone cold you can briefly run it with no belts to see if the noise changes or has gone away, this will help show if an ancillary is the issue Examine carefully the condition of the bottom / crank pulley as these are composite construction with a rubber element and its possible this rubber is breaking up and allowing the two metal portions to move. Another possibility is the variable valve timing system as this does rely on oil pressure tocorrectly synchronise your vvti pulley on the end of the camshaft. If the valve has become blocked up then its possible the pulley is rattling about and producing the noise. If all of this is OK then its possible the issue is with the dual mass flywheel on the other endof the engine, these are constructed in the same way I mentioned for the front pulley but are more prone to problems due to greater heat and larger forces. If your gearstick is rattling this is another pointer to this being the problem.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help?