Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Peugeot 407: I've got a 2005 Peugeot 407 1.6Hdi. Last September

Customer Question

I've got a 2005 Peugeot 407 1.6Hdi. Last September it started blowing white smoke out the exhaust. Since that time I've replaced the turbo (it had seized), and replaced the cylinder head. Also I've had all 4 injectors checked and reconditioned. The reason I replaced the head was because when I took off the cam cover, I saw that one of the bores for the hydraulic tappets had broken off, the rocker arm had fallen off it's seating and was sitting on the bottom. So I checked all valves, rocker arms and hydraulic tappets and renewed them as necessary before installing in the head. I've also installed a new fuel filter, and I've drained the fuel tank of diesel and replaced it with fresh diesel. Alas, the white smoke is still there as bad as it ever was. I am almost certain that it's smoke as opposed to steam - it tends to linger around rather than evaporating, plus it stinks something awful. Also, the white smoke tends to get a lot worse after the engine temperature has risen to normal operating temperature.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome - My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.Im sorry to hear of your troubles...When you get white smoke from a deisel - the smoke will stink - and it will usually burn your eyes... this is a sign of either coolant in the bores -or otherwise incomplete combsution - you need therefore to check this.. I suggest remove the injectors then spin the engine on the key - keeping clear - and see what comes out of the bores.. I suspect you will have water.. Then its a case of tracing exactly why -- this can be down to fault with the head - maybe the head surface was not completely flat - needing skimming. Maybe the head was faulty - cracked inside...or porous - its always a problem with second hand parts this... its usually one or the other as above..But the way forward on this one is to go as I have said above- and work forward from there as you find..Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..~>>~~~ Meantime - Please do click on the "Exc / Ok rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out -- Best Rgds, MIKE.