David, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Skoda Master Technicain and MOT Tester
27984060

A4 SPORT CABRIOLET TDI A: I have locked my keys in the boot

Customer Question

I have locked my keys in the boot of a convertible a4 audi. The alarm is on and the main doors are locked. I have one back side window that is slightly open so could open the side door. I think this will set off the alarm. Any ideas how to get to the keys?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
If you don't have another set of keys, or fob, then the only way to proceed would be by opening the door, and then open the boot (using the switch in driver's door). The alarm will trigger. However, when you get the keys, in the boot, you simply press unlock on the fob and the alarm will turn off.
If the switch does not operate with ignition off and alarm triggered (as some models it does, and some it does not), you would need to first open engine bay and remove the battery negative cable, then get to the Convenience system central control unit in engine bay behind the relay plate. It is inside a cover. Open the cover, remove the connectors. There are two of the connectors (should be black) one other brown, the black ones have 12 pins inside them. One of them labeled h and the other i. With connectors removed, connect the negative battery cable. On pin number 6 (with connectors removed) of connector h, connect positive 12 volts from the vehicle's battery (under the windshield in plenum chamber), and the rear lid release motor will actuate, the boot or lid will open.
You get the keys, close everything except the engine hood, disconnect the battery negative cable again, connect the plugs on the convenience control unit, connect the battery, and use the key fob (using unlock button) to silence the alarm.
Kindly get back to me if further assistance is needed.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not a technical person. I cant see on line where the relay plate or the convenience system is. What do you think the chance of the boot not opening is the key is not in the ignition? I dont want to upset my neighbours,Is there any info on line you can show me what to look out for if the boot cant be opened without the electrical solution.Thanks Billy
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid there are two variants on this model. I hope that the switch will work on your car. However, if it does not, open the engine hood, disconnect the battery negative and the alarm will be silenced.
As for the location of the parts, here's a diagram:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzNGppVUxNWDlxRUU/view?usp=sharing
PS: It is location on the front door sill at the front (the carpet needs removing for access), but first disconnect the battery. If you cannot find it on the left side, check on the driver's side (same location), it is in one of those two locations.
I had it confused with the confort control unit.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have got a coat hanger around the door handle and pulled it open but the door does not open. The alarm went off - small noise for 15 secs and now just flashing lights. I feel that the security system is stopping the door from opening...Ideas?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The alarm system would not prevent the mechanical pieces from moving.
You should try again... As the valet key (when available) would open the door the same way (only from the outside) would trigger the alarm, but the door would open. You can try reaching for the unlock button, using the hanger.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I have used a long stick to push the locking device on the drivers door and nothing happens when I push on the switches.I have tried again with the door handle and that does not seem to make a difference.Are you sure that the electrics would work with the alarm on...Any other ideas.?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The electrics might not work with the alarm on. But the mechanical locking should work (i.e. the handle).
I'm afraid, i cannot find any more ways to get inside the car... If you wish, i can opt out, so other experts take a look at this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this mean that there are any extra costs?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
No extra costs.
I apologize, as i couldn't help any more. In my opinion, having exhausted all other options, this would need dealer, or a professional locksmith. However, Hopefully other experts will have something up their sleeves...
Cheers,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - please opt out - appreciate your help.Simon
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Already did... Best of luck Simon.
Expert:  David replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer
The reason that the doors will not open is because has a dead lock system that prevents you opening the door, this is a anti theft design. The alarm will continue to sound each time you try to break in and the indicators flash to show the alarm has been going off.
The boot is designed to be secure so you can leave the roof down and keeps things safe in the boot. What ever you try you will cause damage to your car. Ideally you need the help of a professional locksmith.
If you feel that you still want to try something then you have limited options with no spare key. You can either break one of the rear lights to gain access but you will still need to get through the plastic trim on the inside of the boot. This will however only give you a very small hole to work through to try and grab the keys.
The other option is to break a window to get inside the car and if you have the centre arm rest with the access to the boot you can open this and work through this hole. This all depends on you having this access panel in the rear seat and how much stuff is in your boot. You will also need a new window and you will need to climb in through the window hole.
Sorry that I can't give you a easy fix to this but there simply isn't one available and trying to get to the wiring will result in damage to other parts of your car.
Regards
Dave