Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Vauxhall Astra Bertone Coupe: my name is***** have a

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** have a vauxhall astra mk4 bertone coupe 2003 model. I am struggling to fix error code 1481... I have checked the large fuses, replaced the fan relay and cleaned all connections with contact cleaner. The fan will only run on hi speed and misses the lower speeds. The fan runs on hi at around 93 degrees. This later model has a single large fan cooling both coolant and air conditioning. Help would be great as the spanner light will not go...
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Scott and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
Just to confirm, is the fault code: P1481 radiator fan relay 1 ?
And is this the relay you replaced? as there are two (relay one and two for the fan)?
and do you have A/C installed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I replaced the black relay with a genuine gm part from vauxhall. The relay replaced is the one closest to the front of the car. The one previously fitted was the completely wrong relay! Too big to even fit propperly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fault code is 1481, this was checked with a snapon ecu reader and a pedal test.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
Kindly check this diagram, and confirm which relay was replaced (according to he diagram names):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzQ09VdG9IMkN6aEk/view?usp=sharing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed k1.1 in this relay box, but their is another relay box next to the battery. I have changed the black relay in their also. I had only changed relay k1.1 because my local mechanic got confused about where the fan relay was. My car is a 1.8 16v by the way.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
It's good to clear things up first... Good that you mentioned the engine. do you have the Auto transmission or manual... you have A/C or not? as there are many variants on the system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine is a z18xe 125bhp. It's manual transmission with AC. This model does not have a coolant control module under the windscreen washer bottle like some earlier models. It also only has one fan to cool both the coolant radiator and aircon condensor. I hope this info helps!
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
This helps a lot!
Thank you for the much needed details.
Now on this diagram, which relay was replaced:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzNExBb1RxTU5EMUk/view?usp=sharing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haha, I see where I may have gone wrong now.. I have replaced k1.7. Though I was told that the relays at k1.5 and k1.6 were for things other than the fan!? I'm guessing the garage tech was wrong...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What gm part numbers do I need to replace the other two Relays?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
It is very likely (and common) to go wrong on these, as there are many variants (with or without auto transmission and A/C).
Try swapping k1.5 and k1.6 and if the code changes to P1482 (relay 2) then the relay needs replacing. If not, the wiring needs checking.
PS: the part number should be indicated on the relay itself, it is a simple relay, no electronics involved, no need to buy from GM.
Get back to me with your findings, so we proceed accordingly.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Billy, I swapped k1.5 and k1.6. Did a pedal test and found that code 1481 is still stored. I also noticed that the wiring on k1.5 seems to have had a repair. Please see the photo attached.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't seem to add the photo for some reason?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
You can put the photo on dropbox, or other cloud, and send me the link.
However, i will send you the diagram (circuit diagram) so you check and correct the wiring for the k1.5 (as it seems the relay is good, the wiring being the problem):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzWkFaQ1BPQi1UdlE/view?usp=sharing
PS: the wires should be as following:
86, and 30 getting positive 12 volts from the fuse, with ignition off
87 should get to pin 3 on the fan (continuity test)
85 on pin 30 connector A of the engine control unit
Having these wired as indicated, the relay should function, if not it requires replacement.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi here is the image from k1.5 as you can see it has a rubber sleave and glue attached. I think it may have been crimped. How could I repair this section? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8oYO8Z23um7eUR2OG9HdERMNFE/edit?usp=docslist_api
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Being repaired and glued, it most likely is the fault. I would start with this. Simple get a wire, cut the repaired part, connect the new wire on both ends, and tape it or use another shrink sleeve to seal the conductive metal.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. Does it matter which gage wire I use? It seems to be thicker than the other wires.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
I would use the same gauge (you can use a bit thicker... but not thinner).
You can also check continuity on the wires (as per diagram) before checking this one, as maybe this was repaired and the fault is on another cable.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I'll give that a go tomorrow and let you know how it goes! Thank you for your help so far Billy.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
You're most welcome Scott!
Take your time, i will be waiting for your findings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Billy, you don't happen to have the diagram for relay box k11 do you? You sent me the 2.2 model diagram but I'd like the 1.8 so I can check for missing relays here also. CheersScott
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello Scott,
The diragram (circuit diagram, or electrical circuit) i sent is for the 1.8 model, here it is again:
As for the K1 relay box (relay box number 1), here it is:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Zgf4dbmODzVVc3eUFKT3dOZDQ/view?usp=sharing
PS: any missing relays here and the engine would not start, except for the A/C relay
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow that's different to what I have... Even though the diagram states it's for my car...
Here is a photo of inside my relay box 1.24 438 885 fan relay gm astra g
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry here is the photo:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8oYO8Z23um7dmFHc0FJVTAzWGs/edit?usp=docslist_api
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8oYO8Z23um7dmFHc0FJVTAzWGs/edit?usp=docslist_api
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Is this the relay box one or two?
The box with the fan relays, is relay box 2.
And this box (the wiring on it) should be tested. for continuity: relay fan 1 should have it's four wires tested as per electrical diagram.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The picture is of relay box 1. Seems to be a different lay out to the diagram you sent me. Relay box 2 seems to coincide with the other diagram
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The relay box 2 (where the fan relays are) is the one where the checks need to be conducted.
As indicated before, the wiring specifically for the relay 1 (fan relay 1) needs checking for continuity to the ECM, fuse, and fan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Billy, iv been looking into this issue further. Do you know what type of fan resistor I should have on my fan? I believe there are two types on these astras. The one I have is the green cylinder type (which looks to have been replaced at a later date). But I have seen different ones with three springs which control slow medium and high speeds. This could be the issue.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
IT would not matter if you are getting power from relay 1 to the resistors (to the fan eventually), the fan would start, and you would not get the fault code.
Are you getting power from the relay one, to the fan?
and did you check the wiring (for relay 1)? to ECU, to fan, to power etc..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, oh okay it won't be that then. Well I noticed that the fan plug was wired wrong. Relay 1 was sent through position 2 on the plug instead of 3. And relay 2 was plugged into 3 instead of 2. I'll be switching these tomorrow. Iv also got a 12v meter reader coming in to check the wires running between the relays, fan and ecu. Just to make sure there isn't a short.Cheers
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The relay one should get to position three, and two to 2, and three to 1.
Check for continuity on the wires, we need to know if the signal from the ECU is getting to the relay 1, and so forth.
Cheers