Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

Zafira: My 2004 zafira does not start. It ticks over. I thought

Customer Question

My 2004 zafira does not start. It ticks over. I thought it was battery or something to do with the key at first because I've left changed battery and reset the immobiliser in the key. Still nothing. I've had a mechanic look for error codes but nothing shows up. Any ideas?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
There is no reset procedure for the immobilizer.
With ignition on, or when trying to start, do you have warning lights on or flashing?
which exact engine do you have?
just to confirm, the engine is cranking, starter operating?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a 1.8 zafira. Petrol and automatic. It had a problem starting last Friday. I thought it was the heat. Friday evening it started with no problems. Now it just cranks over with no ignition. I have put some fuel in it a couple days prior too so I know it has fuel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No warning lights are on either. Just your normal light up procedure....
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
can you check for spark?
and can you check the spark plugs if wet with fuel? (a very common issue on this model caused by short distance trips)
If the problem persists, check for any blown fuses, and get back to me so we proceed with the diagnostics as needed.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already checked fuses under the steering wheel and the fuses in engine near battery. None are blown (visual check) you might be right with spark plugs. My Ex does an awful lot of short trips
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
I would check if getting spark. and if yes, check the spark plugs, as here's the Vauxhall bulletin targeting this problem:
Bulletin
Starting and charging
Engine mechanical
Affected vehicles
Agila, 2000.
Corsa-B, 1998-00.
Corsa-C, 2001.
Astra-F, 1998-01.
Astra-G, 1998.
Vectra-B, 1998-01.
Meriva, 2003.
Zafira-A, 1999.
Problem
Failure to start.
Poor starting from cold.
Misfire.
Cause
Frequent short journeys or cold starts.
Spark plugs wet with fuel.
Remedy
Parts
Description Part number Quantity
Spark plug type FGR 8 KQE0 91132086 4
Fit new spark plugs - type FGR 8 KQE0. Tightening torque: 25 Nm.
Kindly get back to me with the findings, so we proceed accordingly.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any chance it could be a fuel filter??? When I turn the key a couple clicks I hear the pump kick in..... I only ask because I've used the spray (I can't remember the name) through the pipe near the engine and it starts and runs off its own steam once started???
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The name should be easy start spray. It can be the fuel filter. It can be a number of other items. We need to diagnose given the symptoms, and the most likely reasons on this model, to get to the culprit efficiently. So, check for spark, and the plugs, and we'll take it from there.
PS: if the sparks are wet, spraying the easy start will also help the engine to fire.
Regards,
Billy