Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Ford senior technician
Experience:  fully qualified ford senior technician. ata registerd. svq level 3 .12 years experience
17855046

Ford Focus c max: FORD FOCUS C MAX GHIA 2.0 diesel.My body

Customer Question

FORD FOCUS C MAX GHIA 2.0 diesel.My body control module is also faulty. I took it off and saw corrosion in the slots and the multi plugs. My dash board lights are not also showing up when I switch the key. All the electrics work but the engine doesn't start or click. It all started with a headlight. My left light wasn't working and I tried everything. checked the BCM and saw corrosion. Thought I'd put it back in case I mess anything up. I put all the wires back in and then the car wouldn't start. And I ownly owned the car for 2 years. Lol
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there good morning to you Ok just to confirm the vehicle will not start ever since you have dissconnected the GEM module /main fuse box in the Passengers footwell Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is right. I've had as come check it out they go the module has been in contact with water. There's corrosion on the GEM and inside the multi plugs to.
Hi there thanks
Ok yes the corrosion in the GEM module is a common issues (suspected it is caused by moisture droplets from the heater box tracking down the wiring loom )
This can cause all sorts of weird electrical issues but I have never seen it cause a non start
The most likely cause if one of the plugs are not fitted home fully
These multiplugs are a pull home type plug here by when it is fitted and tab pulled over it pulls the multiplug fully home
I would double check the installation of all the multiugs on the GEM module (mote
More so the 3 large ones )
Regarding the corrosion inside the module the GEM
Module should be replaced with the modified model (different design to prevent any reocuurance of moisture
If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
If you are Completely satisfied with my answer /advice
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day
Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a specific way to put the leads back on? I've connected the gem but no dashboard lights come up. And no start up.
Hi there
There is a plastic tab which moves back and forth it must be fully back (next to where the wiring enters the plug ) then sit the multiplug into the recess pushing down and then pull the tab forward (this is what pulls home and locks the multiplugs in place
Regards ***** ***** Brian.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If clean the corrosion off. Would that help?
Hi there
The corrosion tracks down into the circuit board inside the Gem and cause all sorts of electrical problem
These cannot be cleaned as once it has tracked into the printed circuit board the GEM needs replaced
You can only we the entry point of the moisture
The insides of the GEM will be corroded so cleaning the corrosion will make no difference
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have got a replacement gem. Does this need re coding? I'm going to try and clean all the connectors now with a quick dry solution. Will this help?
Hi there
Ok there are a fe different levels of gem or heated front screens etc
Most are the same so you can plug it in and check the functions of your electrics
The remote locking fob if fitted needs to be recoded to the new gem
To do this turn the ignition from on to off 4 times in 6-10 seconds you should hear chime
Then press and hold any button on the remote fob you should hear another chime
This is the key being programmed
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have cleaned the wires that fit into the BCM. The engine is turning over now but not starting. Could this be another fault somewhere or is this still a electrical issue?
Hi there
It's most likely a fuel pump relay issue within the gem
There is a black relay R19 which is for the fuel pump
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried to start the engine with the new bcm I have. It does the same thing. Engine turns over but doesn't start. Could it be a alternator issue?
Hi there
No the alternator wouldn't cause this
Is the fuel pump relay fitted to the gem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about the fuel pump? I have read forums saying their fuel pumps have been blocked with dirt which caused it to turn over but dI want start. How can I change the fuel relay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I switch the key over warning message comes up saying limited epb function.
Hi there
Is the red light in the centre of the dash flashing rapidly
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there isn't. There's no immobilising issues. The car accepts the key.
Hi there
Ok this EPB Faulg is a fault within the electronic parking brake
This can be caused by a wrong level GEM module and would effect it starting
DIsregard the fuel pump ready I mentioned as the early diesels didn't have one fitted
Ok if it is turning over and not firing
What has been done to cause this
Is it only the GEM module that has been replaced
Did the car start fine before this
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Car was working fine. Only reason I took the BCM off is to check for the headlight fuse. After taking it off car wouldn't start up. I've now replaced the BCM and now the car is turning over but not starting. I've also checked if fuel is reaching the engine. Nothing is coming through the pipes.
Hi there
Did you pyshically dissconnect any fuel pipes from engine area
Also does the red Immobilsor light go solid for 3 seconds then go with ignition switched on
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I did. From the engine bay. But that has been put back. I took the pipes and tried turning the engine. No fuel is coming through the pipes.And yes the red light stays in the disappears.
Hi there thanks
Ok you have created an Air lock in the fuel system due to dissconnecting the pipes
No fuel will come through when you crank the engine as there is no electric fuel pump in the tank
You need to use a one way hand primer to draw fuel up from the tank to the engine
Once the fuel is up at the engine reconnect the pipe and crank the engine
Once the engine starts the engine fuel pump draws the fuel from the tank
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I'm not very technical when it comes to these sort of things. Would you be able to assist me? And the BCM I bought, do I have to get that recoded or isn't that needed? Or is it just for the key fob?
Hi there
Ok the remote jet will need reprogrammed to the GEM.
If there is an EPB issue it may be down too
1, the GEM IS the wrong level (is the fuse lay out the EXACT same ) as it must be
2, it may require coded for the EPB function
Regarding the fuel priming you need a one way hand primer which you attach to the fuel filter outlet port (right hand side of filter
You then draw fuel up from the tank filling the filter up until fuel comes out of the one way hand primer
Then reconnect the pope to the filter and crank engine
You will never start these engines without priming using this tool ( hand primer )
Regards Brian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've bought a can of 'easy start' the engine starts up but then tries hard for it to be running. The engine dies out after excessive revving. What do you think of this?
Hi there good afternoon to you
Ok the easy start only acts as a fuel substitute
If it starts runs then dies/fizzles outrun with accelerator held this indicates a fueling issue is not enough fuel being injected into the cylinder caused by your air lock
Regards ***** ***** Brian