Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Diesel Zetec: Bob, .

Customer Question

Hello Bob, my name is Jordan. I have just bought a 2007/57 Fiesta TDI which only has 15,000 miles. However, I was driving it home on the motorway and noticed quite a reasonable amount of smoke coming out. At low speeds it does not seem to be present but cruising at 60 to 80 it does come out quite a bit. It seems to be dark greyish in colour but does seem unusual. The performance seems adequate. Also, when I was driving at 60 or so I felt two jolts from the car at two separate times on the motorway. I also felt it the first time I drove it when on the test drive when changing from second gear into third. When I got home I noticed that the back bumper underneath where the exhaust is - is black and has stained the bumper. Any help appreciated. Thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello sounds like its over fuelling check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it. If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help?