Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Audi A6: Joe,I just noticed today that when i turn on

Customer Question

Hi Joe,
I just noticed today that when i turn on the ignition (not starting the engine up) the emissions control light comes on and stays on untill i start the engine when it goes out. is this normal as i dont remember seeing it come on like this before?
many thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
This is normal. You might have stored fault codes, but no actual fault codes. So everything is working as it should.
Kindly get back to me if further assistance is needed.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So would this mean that it had a fault at some point but it has now corrected its self? When I press the check button on the dash it cycles through a number of icons but I'm not sure if that means it's ok or that there are faults in those areas? It doesn't say ok at the end of the sequence?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The check button would only check if the dash (and indicators) is working correctly. This does not mean that you have any faults.
This is perfectly normal operation.
If some fault codes are stored (not actual), means that some sensor or actuator gave a wrong signal for a limited time, and then the problem went away. This happens due to interference with other electrical items. Does not mean that you have a problem.
As long as the vehicle is operating as it should, and you have no faults on dash with engine running, then you have nothing to worry about.
Regards,
Billy