Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Ford senior technician
Experience:  fully qualified ford senior technician. ata registerd. svq level 3 .12 years experience
17855046

Ford 1.8 tdci titanium: Mike I recently bought a Ford Focus

Customer Question

hi Mike I recently bought a Ford Focus 1.8 tdci year 08 it's has started to cut out and like go into limp mode I turn of egnition and turn it on again and it goes fine nothing is coming up on diagnostic computers but a warning on dash say engine problems
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 1 year ago.
Hi there ,good morning to you and sorry for the delayed response Iam sorry to hear your having such trouble with your vehicle Ok if the vehicle is cutting out /limp home mode then there WILL. Be a diagnostic fault code logged but some smaller scanners cannot pick the code up most commonly the fault code we see is an injector short /open circuit With this issue 9 times out of 10 the fault is the injector shorting internally To clarify if the injector is the issue I always swap the injector from the offending cylinder into another cylinder and then note and clear the fault codes then monitor the issue until the fault arises again I then carry out another fault code check and see what fault code is logged to see if it has moved cylinder number If it is still stating the same injector short /open circuit code then You know the injector is not the issue therefore the wiring must be stripped and visually inspected for any corrosion or chaffing Also pin grip at both the injector and pcm multiplugs If ALL wiring and pin grip is ok from the affected injector to the pcm then the fault can only lie internal of the pcm injector driver ( which would be rare ) but cannot be ruled But in my experience an injector shorting out internally is the most common cause (This is fault code pending If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER Kind regards ***** ***** and have a nice day Brian