gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

Volkswagen Golf GTI 1.8T: mk4 1.8t golf gti. today I had to

Customer Question

mk4 1.8t golf gti. today I had to remove a relay (says 100 on the top) just to start the engine. but it suffers from power loss and stalling, plus the turn signals no longer work. if I put the realsy back the car is dead
Category: UK Car
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
How did you know to pull this particular relay to get it to start? What position in the relay panel is the relay? Typically that is the load reduction relay (which cuts off power to all accessories to allow the starter to get full power when cranking) Have you opened it up and checked it to make sure the contacts are not welded?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at the time this happened, I had gone to the shops, I had only left my car for about 10 minutes, when I returned to the car, I had the issue I am asking about. the relay in question is the second rom left in the upper foot well. and it was hot to the touch. I have yet to open it
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like that relay could be having an issue where the contacts have "arced" when they were contacting, and welded themselves together. Often, even if they release, they will have a rough surface and may do it again at any time. I would replace the relay to be safe.