Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

Renault Scenic: Mike, I have a problem with my 2008 renault

Customer Question

Hi Mike, I have a problem with my 2008 renault scenic 1.5 dciwith an intermittent starting problem. Sometimes it starts, stops and then takes another 5 or 6 attempts before it starts. I changed the crankshaft sensor but the problem still persists. Nothing shows on the diagonistics. any suggestions. Alf
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome..
This is MIKE - as requested. Sorry for the delay..
When you say sometimes it starts...stops and then takes several more attempts to start... When it wont start - is the engine cranking over - spinning but not starting - or is all dead ?
Too - in any case.. when you have this issue - what is the security system LED doing - if anything?
Can you also give me its mileage - and full reg please...
Plus - other than what you say - has it had any other work done on it of late... what is its recent service history like?
Also - lastly - when you had the diagnostics done.. what type of garage did the tests - ie, dealer etc?? And -importantly - did the machine connect / read the ecu OK.. and say no faults... or did it not communicate at all?
Best Rgds, MIKE........................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike,
Sorry for the delay but I work an odd shift pattern. The answers are as follows:
The car turns over but stops firing. It is though the car stops getting fuel after initially starting for a few seconds before cutting out. It then takes 6/7 turns before it will start. Very occasionally we have to leave the 20-30 minutes before re-starting.The LED lights do not do come on, everything appears normal on the dashboard. The car has a full service history when purchase and this has been continued by our local independent garage. He was them that plugged in the diagnostics which showed nothing. They even kept it a couple nights
but the car did not play up. Once started it will start all day. the mileage is 144K and reg HK08EEH. I have checked the fuel line and I cannot see any air bubbles so I do not think there is anything wrong with the fuel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope this helps you. Regards Alf
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again -
That's fine no problem at all --
Just need to clarify a couple of points Alf.. when I mentioned "Led lights".. I meant just the security light - the one that flashes when the car is locked - and the system is armed... When you are cranking and it wont start.. does this light flash - or come on and stay on ? ..or anything unusual?
Try it - when it starts normally Alf - watch the Led to see what it should be doing, when it starts normal.. then when it plays up..check to see if there is a difference in what it does....
Second point - when it plays up..does the engine crank unusually fast - or unusually slow? either?
Other than "fault code " checks.. has it had any other proper diag checks done?
Best Rgds, MIKE...................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike,
Sorry for the delay but I was on the wrong shift pattern. The car LED lights do not appear to be any different when it starts normally or when it plays up. As for cranking, there is no difference in turn over speed when it starts or when it does not. As for diagnostic check I believe it was fault codes but the hand held device was plugged in and the car started and it ran through a load of codes. I hope this helps.
Regards
Alf
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Alf..
No problem at all dont worry.
Before I say much else Alf - Ive just reviewed what you told me.. can I just ask, the crank sensor your replaced - was that a new - genuine Renault one - from a Renault parts dept?
Rgds, MIKE....................
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike, Yes a genuine Renault part.
Regards
Alf