Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer - master tech., SAE member
30385560

Nissan Micra: , I have a nissan micra 2003, and my engine

Customer Question

hi, I have a nissan micra 2003, and my engine will not start properly when the ignition it switched on. the engine shudders (like it wants to switch on) and then doesn't. My mechanic said to lock and unlock the central locking via the remote twice, and then start the engine. this sometimes works, but most times does not. would re-programming the car help? Also, the "check engine" light stays on.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
When you turn ignition on, is the security light on, or does it go off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The security light flashes
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
did you try spare key? (if available)
PS: the check engine light could be another problem, for this, i would first check and clean the earth connection to the engine control module, as it is the most common issue on this model causing the shuddering.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh ok. the car does not have a spare key. I was thinking of getting a spare key made and programmed?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
It's always useful to have a spare key stand by. And as indicated before, you might have two different issues, with the starting (security) and the check engine light (the loose earth connection for the ECM).
I would first check and repair the earth connection for the ECM in engine bay, and as for the security issue, i will include some details for you to try (kindly try both methods):
System arms after switching ignition OFF.
Immobilizer warning lamp flashes when system armed Fig.6.
If engine will not start, proceed as follows:
Remove all possible sources of signal interference from key ring.
Switch ignition ON for approximately 5 seconds.
Switch ignition OFF.
Wait approximately 5 seconds.
Repeat above procedure.
If engine starts:
Place source of signal interference elsewhere.
If engine does not start:
System malfunction.
RHD: If immobilizer warning lamp flashes 6 times then continuously illuminates proceed as follows:
Switch ignition ON.
Wait approximately 15 minutes.
Ensure immobilizer warning lamp extinguishes.
Start engine.
Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance is needed, so we proceed accordingly.
Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Do you know of any mechanics around DA16 (Bexley/Kent/South East London) that can help me sort this, as the mechanic that serviced my car says he does not know where the earth cable is.Thanks.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
I can not advertise on this platform. However, a Nissan specialist (not necessarily dealer) should take care of this, as this is a common fault (the ECM earth connection that is). The ECM is located at the front of the engine compartment on the left next to the strut dome. The earth wire gets from chassis to it.
Regards,
Billy