sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Chrysler/Dodge Stratus/Cirrus: , I have a 1996 chrysler Stratus

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1996 chrysler Stratus 2.0 4L EU Spec. I think it is the dodge cirrus in the US. Recently, it stalled on me. The crankshaft position sensor was replaced, and then it worked again. However, when accelerating, it holds back. You can feel the car accelerate, then back off again, accelerate, and so on, until it reaches about 4000 rpm and then the problem seems to vanish. I replaced the spark plugs and the ignition coil, but that didn't help. I also had to replace the valve cover gasket as it was leaking some oil. The car has 86000 km (around 53000 miles). No codes, and no CEL. Any idea what could be wrong?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello nd welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have quite a few thing going on. I've seen countless cases of aftermarket cam and crank sensors causing driveability issues, if the problem wasn't present until the crank sensor was replaced and an aftermarket one was used then I would first suspect a bad replacement sensor.

The other most likely cause for a hesitation on acceleration with no codes would be low fuel pressure. You may have a restricted fuel filter or the pump may be failing.

If no codes are setting then diagnosing it accurately will require some testing. Monitoring data may be necessary. It would be a good idea to use a fuel pressure gauge to see if pressure drops off under a load. If not and the problem started with replacing the crank sensor then I would recommend a Mopar sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your answer.

As I mentioned, I replaced the sensor because the car stalled. It first hesitated but kept running. A few weeks laters, it stalled, and required some time before I could start it again. After replacing the sensor, the car no longer stalls, but the hesitation is still there. I used an aftermarket one as the correct crank sensor was not available anymore from mopar. The one the (chrysler) dealership had didn't even fit... Which is why I went for an aftermarket part. I can try replacing it again. It is not a very expensive part, and not so difficult to replace. But it would again be an aftermarket part...

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, so I'll ask my garage to check that.

Thank you,

Kurt.

Another thing you might try is removing the cam sensor and make sure the cam hasn't worn into it. It isn't that common but does happen and will cause erratic spark on acceleration.