Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Volkswagen: just purchased a t5 2004 transporter 166,000

Customer Question

hi just purchased a t5 2004 transporter 166,000 miles on her , I was told exhaust manifold was blowing but driving it home it was more like a knock, from air filter area, any idea's , before I start stripping
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome..
My name is ***** ***** Im happy to help / advise.
Of course "noises" per se are difficult to diagnose from here -- but what you describe - and with it being that vehicle.. common things are - simple loose fixings on engine components...causing a "knock" noise - so do general checking on the engine components - engine mounts etc before doing much else...
Other than that - on these turbo equipped models, you can have turbo faults that will cause , when faulty, excess noise / knocking sometimes - so bear that in mind especially at that mileage.
Other than that yes , it can be a simple blow from the exhaust manifold- they do crack around the webs...and loose fixing bolts sometimes..
If it was a dropped engine valve -which can cause a very similar noise, you would have a lack of power - you dont mention that so - its looking like any one or more of the above to be investigated.
Let me know how you go..and / or let me know if you need anything further on this..
~~~~~ Meantime -- Please do click on the "Exc rating" for me at this time.. "Thank you" in advance for that ... Note that you can get back to me anytime at all after doing the rating - it doesn't close you out --
Best Rgds, MIKE.