Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw /audi specialist
84635724

Vauxhall Signum: there. I have a rattle coming from where

Customer Question

Hi there. I have a rattle coming from where the fan belt is. It sounds like if a twig was in there. The faster I go the faster the rattle etc. I'm concerned the fly wheel or fan belt is on its way out.....
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Kevin Is noise there what car is stationary?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Yes at its worst when stationary, but still a bit every so often when driving. Mainly stationary though
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Ok so first what size engine do you have fitted and is it petrol or diesel?and is noise there all the time does it change at all when air con turned on/ off or steering turned ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a 2.0 diesel. It's definately coming from behind the drivers side front wheel where the fan belt is.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hi sorry for the delay your car is fitted with a timing chain which it not unusual to cause rattling which can sound like the noise you describe this needs to be checked sooner rather than later taps the timing chain synchronises the engine and if damage occurs it can break and cause the engine to fail