Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

Land Rover Freelander: Rich. I have a 2005 Landrover Freelander

Customer Question

Hi Rich. I have a 2005 Landrover Freelander (stick shift). Unlocked the door with my fob, my passenger hopped in, I went back to get something and on return accidentally locked then unlocked the car with my fob. Now on putting the key in the ignition it starts the engine, and when I put it in gear it seems fine, but when I raise the clutch/try to accelerate it just revs, feeling resistance, then stalls/cuts out. Have I triggered the immobilizer? How can I get it to reset? I'm travelling at present so this is a massive inconvenience!
Category: UK Car
Expert:  martin jones replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcome to JA.COM, i will try to assist you with your problem, if the engine starts then your vehicle is not immobilized, if you get outside your car and press the lock button 5 or more times quickly, this will resync your key fob, i take it you have the 2 button keyfob model, also when driving does the revs go up but not in time with the engine, ie, clutch slipping, also i take it you have not it into hill decent or a different gear position on the hi/low range selector, if its fitted, please advise, kindest regards martin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Martin...when you say press the lock button 5 times you mean just the lock button? Not 'lock/unlock 5 times'? It is a 2 button key fob model, clutch isn't slipping, and not in descent or different gear position...will try the 5 locking reset thing now...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No luck, sadly. Fob unlocks the door fine, I hop in, ignition starts as normal, no alerts on dashboard (other than parking brake while applied). When I slip it into gear it shifts fine, but as I raise the clutch it revs as though trying to move, but feels almost as if a brake is still applied (none are!), and if I fully raise the clutch she cuts out/stalls.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any ideas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Problem still not resolved!
Hi there sorry for the delay in getting back to you, i had a family emergency to deal with,with the engine off does the vehicle freewheel, if not you may have one of the following problems and will require the vehicle jacked up, either faulty brakes but you say are fine, diff problem. gearbox/drive shafts/cv joints seized..did this problem suddenly happen, also are there any unusual noises, please advise, kind regards martin.