Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Vito: ***** ***** I'm driving a vito 112 CDI. I've noticed over

Customer Question

Hi Paul, I'm driving a vito 112 CDI. I've noticed over the last month or so that after driving it for a while, when restarting after the engine cooled (getting back to the car after shopping for instance) the car would fire but then die. I'd wait a while and crank it over for 15 - 20 seconds and it would usually come back to life and be fine to drive. Also it would be fine restarting hot.
This morning, I've tried to start it cold and it's turning over but I'm having no joy at all in getting it to fire and now the battery is getting very low on charge.
Any ideas? Filter need changing, seals gone? I'm not very familiar with diesel engines so would appreciate any advice.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
The fuel filter restricting is one common component to cause this type of fault here.If this has not been replaced in the last year this should be done.
The other causes I have seen starting with the most common first is a faulty crank position sensor acting up intermittently or a weak low pressure fuel pump.These will both cause this issue needing tested to locate and repair the cause here.
Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete