Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Jaguar Super V8: !I have a Jaguar Daimler Super V8 1998.

Customer Question

Hi!
I have a Jaguar Daimler Super V8 1998. For a fault with the gearbox, I bought one with reference R1402712601 a Mercedes SL. In theory it is exactly the same gearbox of the XJR.
The problem is that to start the car, the engine operates two seconds and then turns off.
Can it be that within a switchboard has a different language code or waiting at the car? Can I do something to make the car work with the new gearbox?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
If you installed a gar box that isn't fully compatible with your model and it is plugged in electronically most likely the computer is not recognizing it.This would need replaced with the correct gear box to resolve this here or you would need to see if a dealer can reprogram your vehicles computers to correct this.I don't see a way to bypass this.
Thanks Pete