martin jones
martin jones, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  25 years as a mechanic and mot tester, owned own business for 10 years city and guilds trained
20682938

Rover 45 Impression: I had a top hose blow on my 45 impression

Customer Question

I had a top hose blow on my 45 impression due to over pressure , can you tell me where the bleed screw/ bolt is situated please.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  martin jones replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and welcome to JA.COM, i will try to assist you with your problem, the rover 45 does not have a bleed screw, normally we use a vacuum pressure system to drain and refill, the only way to do this otherwise would be to fill up the expansion bottle and run the engine with the coolant lid OFF, make sure you have the heater set to hot and put the blower on number 3 or 4, this will enable the coolant to circulate around the heater matrix, once the engine is up to temp the fans should kick in, if at any time the water bubbles over, switch the engine off for a while, then re top up with coolant and restart the engine, this may take a few goes and a while, but be patient, this will work, hope this helps, kindest regards ***** ***** if you require any further help please ask, if not please press the GREEN BUTTON to accept, as this is how i get paid, once again regards martin.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, thank you for your time and answer, though incorrect. There is a bleed scre w on the engine, it is situated on the outlet pipe of the coolant system.
Thank you.
Hi there, thanks for your reply, yes there is the bleed screw on the metal pipe, the reason i didn't mention it was because in all of the years i have worked on rovers we have never used it as we use a vacuum remove and fill system, the bleed screw you mention usually is either very tight or breaks off so we never touch it or have the need to use it, if you use the first method i suggested you should have no trouble, saying that you may be lucky with the screw, all the best and kindest regards martin.