Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Patriot: I Tim I have a 09 Jeep Patriot which I bought last

Customer Question

I Tim I have a 09 Jeep Patriot which I bought last year. The problem I have is when I accelerate to overtake orange light comes on and jeep loses power. If I stop and shut down the engine and restart the power comes back. A number of mechanics have looked at the Jeep and cannot find a problem. They reset and light goes out until the next time. Any help you can give would be much appreciated. Thanks Ian
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

First i need to know which engine you have Diesel or petrol

Second did the techs check for malfunction codes . if they did what where then codes

Get me this information and i'm sure i can help you .

Regds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Greg

Engine is diesel. The fault code has normally gone off by the time it reaches the garage. The exhaust has been checked for blockages, pipes etc. for small holes, turbo cleaned.

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ian .

Sorry not up to date on the diesel used in this jeep ,i will reopen this for other experts to see.

Rgds Greg
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello another expert here 1st consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure. If OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out withbrake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it. If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check thatthe turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate)then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to thediaphragm / solenoid valve Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on andleave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the endcaps off under high boost.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi

do you still need help?