Trevor
Trevor, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  NVQ 3, Modern Apprenticeship, MOT Tester, 15+ years experience diagnostic technician
15853224

Astra: 1.3cdti Astra when I turn on ignition fuel is going

Customer Question

1.3cdti Astra when I turn on ignition fuel is going to pump but coming straight back out through return line, if I turn it over nothing comes through feed to commonrail
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Trevor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to just answer.
My name is***** try to assist you here.
There are a couple of ways the fuel can be returning, the steps to follow are these....
Perform a leak back test on the injectors, there should be less than 30ml of fuel coming from each injector leak off port over a 3 minute cranking period, any more than this and the injectors will need an overhaul. You can get special tubes to measure this.
Remove the return flow pipe from the injector rail, crank the engine, there should be none or very little fuel coming from here, if there's fuel here then the regulator valve is stuck open, and will need replacing.
Hope this helps, if you need more info, please let me know.
Trev
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no fuel getting to injectors, as I say when the fuel foes into pump with ignition on it just keeps pumping to try and get pressure up because fuel is coming straight back out of the return line on pump, none of the fuel is going through outlet to the commonrail to feed the injectors
Expert:  Trevor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, did this just suddenly happen? Or was there any actions taken before this such as filter changes etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has just had new cam chain fitted.
Expert:  Trevor replied 1 year ago.
Hi
In that case it's one of 2 things, when the chain was fitted, and the piping for the fuel system removed to gain access the pipes were fitted incorrectly to the fuel filter and pump, or the pump itself is faulty and the fitting of the timing chain is just coincidental.
Trev