JagLandyFord
JagLandyFord, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Trained on Jaguar, Ford, Land Rover, Audi, Mazda, Master Technician Achieved on Jaguar & Land Rover
33615967

I have a Mondeo 2005 (115) 2.0 TDCI with 177,000

Customer Question

Hello, I have a Mondeo 2005 (115) 2.0 TDCI with 177,000 miles on the clock. The injectors have been reconditioned (5k miles ago) and the fuel pump has a new IMV fitted. Once the engine is warm the idle hunts for a few seconds before settling. I can see
(and hear) the turbo actuator searching for the idle position as the revs drop. This happens every gear change and every time I blip the throttle and allow the revs to drop off back to idle. The searching lasts for about 5 - 10 seconds and eventually it does
settle. This also happens at very light throttle and causes the car to hesitate and nudge (like its bouncing on the clutch springs). I can hear the actuator searching while I'm driving at light load. Under mid or high load its perfect, no power loss. I've
taken the turbo arm off and it moves freely when cold or hot - no sticking at all. There are no fault codes and it has never gone into limp home mode. Any ideas? Thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  JagLandyFord replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
I am not sure what other repairs you have completed as part of this concern, so please do not be offended if some of my advice - you may find you have already completed.
The first advice would be to ensure a new fuel filter has been fitted.
The next is - when the injectors were refitted - if they have been refurbished - then the bas calibrations set in the Engine ECU will be incorrect.
So they will need to be reset and re-learned.
Jaguar diagnostic tool SDD - can be used to do this - but there maybe other diagnostic softwares available that are capable of doing the same.
The last piece of advice is - can you be sure the fuel in the tank is not contaminated? I have seen so many vehicles contaminated with various substances from petrol to water - even when the owner denies mis-fueling or using poor diesel fuel they have used from a construction site.
In addition to help myself or another Just Answer support engineer - if possible can you provide the current fault codes present in the engine ecu?
Please note - I work full time and may not be able to answer your question immediately or another Just Answer Engineer may need to assist you in my place if I am not available.
I hope the above information helps.
Best regards
JagLandyFord
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,The fuel filter has been changed (twice) and the fuel is used every week (from different filling stations) - this problem has been happening for at least the last 20 fill ups.The injector coding was done at the time of refurbishment using a Hartridge test bench, and as I said - there are no fault codes either stored or pending.I will add that the turbo actuator is electronic (euro 4), not vacuum operated.If you aren't sure what else to try, please feel free to pass this on to another expert.Thanks,James