martin jones
martin jones, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  25 years as a mechanic and mot tester, owned own business for 10 years city and guilds trained
20682938

Civic: My car wont start, the "!" Sign comes up on the dashb

Customer Question

My car wont start, the "!" Sign comes up on the dashboard. I dont know what it means?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  martin jones replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA.com, i will try to assist you with your problem,what colour is the symbol, also does the car still drive ok, please advise, kindest regards martin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The car is not moving at all the battery seems to be fine, i tried to jump start it but its still not starting, when i put the key in the ignition and press the start button the car does not start. So its not the battery. What could it be?

Hi Hugo, what colour is the light, please advise, kind regards martin.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The colour on the dashboard is amber, i had the AA recovery people come round & tried evrything under the sun but still could'nt get it to start. Its not the altenator, starter motor or battery. The car is not recognising that gear is in Neutral for it to start, so the fault lies with the gear. We've tried to reset evrything by removing the battery but still didnt work. No one seems to work out whats wrong with it so its going to the garage.

Hi there, i have been checking the symbols on my auto data and as you say, the car wont start if in neutral, you possibly have an ECU fault in the gearbox ECU, this will need to be code read with a dealer level scanner, there is a fault stored in the ECU, until this is removed/rectified the car wont start, hope this helps, kindest regards martin.