Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Sportage: Matt I have a 2006 2.0 diesel kia sportage it

Customer Question

Hi Matt I have a 2006 2.0 diesel kia sportage it has been running funny for a while by momenteraly losing power yesterday would not start today my husband changed fuel and air filters and cleaned the ERG valve put it back together and it starts and runs for a few minutes then dies if you try to give it throttle it dies instantly hope you can help Thanks Angela
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello Angela
this sounds like a lack of fuel and may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.
Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.
If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint
the other possibklity is the lift pump in the main pump has become faulty
these can be rebuilt with a new seal kit though
this is done as follows
Turn off engine
- under the plastic engine cover then carefully remove the 4 9star shaped) bolts from top of pump cover,
- Undo star bolts partially, checking for pressure from the spring inside
- If there is pressure, turn the engine until no pressure. This can be done by hand or put the car in gear and rock.
- Fully undo bolts and remove cover, making sure you know how to put everything back in the same order!
- Replace seals
- Ensure piston is lined up when putting back together
- Screw plate back on
- Engine should now start, without the need to manually flush the pump with diesel.
- Keep everything perfectly clean - this is essential