Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Rav4 GX 2.0 litre: Ted , you may be my savior, My 1998

Customer Question

Hi Ted , you may be my savior, My 1998 RAV4 (81K) stalls at low revs , usually in traffic, I replaced the IAC with a used one from a breaker via Ebay from New Jersey, arrived looked clean so fitted it but still same problem. Toyota garage want £1050 for new throttle and IAC or £350 for IAC (they don't supply throttle on its own) so crazy pricing.Went my local garage fitted the IAC they did a diagnostic and found no faults anywhere at all! My cars revs climb and fall at tickover on their own, when driving and stuck in traffic or crawling she stalls (smell of petrol) : then I have to leave her stand for 5 mins before she will start, its as if she's flooded. Is there anything I can do? I'm desperate now and have booked her in for a diagnostic at Toyot, but they may just say she needs throttle and IAC without bothering with simple fixes if there is one. Any ideas? Much appreciated. Graham
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
In some cases this can be caused by carbon build up in the throttle body bore itself.If you have not checked and cleaned the throttle body I would see if this corrects the issue here.
If this was already done or does not correct this fault this may be an issue with a crank position sensor at fault.I have seen crank sensor failure before in the past and had to replace the sensor for this issue here.In allot of cases the crank sensor acting up won't cause a fault code to set making it difficult to fully diagnose.
Thanks Pete