Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Ford Transit: I've got a 2004 swb 2.0 transit fwd. problem

Customer Question

Hi I've got a 2004 swb 2.0 transit fwd. problem it keeps. Popping out of fourth gear. I've tried new cables but I'm concerned they might be of poor quality as I had cheap the off a well known auction site. Now when I change gear I can hear the ratchet on the adjusters slipping. Do you think I need to get a genuine part. Do you have any other ideas what it might be. I think there maybe some movement on a engine mounting as I can feel some movement when pulling off quickly. Is it selector what is the best way to diagnose the problem. Thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
If there is engine movement like one or more mounts are damaged in any way the affected mounts need checked and replaced and can cause issues like this here in some cases.I would try this first to see if this resolves the issue.
If this does not resolve the fault it may be the cheaper cables used that are causing this fault if they are not the correct length possibly.I would have this checked into further to locate and repair the fault.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, thanks for the reply I am suspect of worn engine mountings because there is a knocking with juddering sensation when taking off. Do you know what the best way of checking?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Usually you can pry on the mounts to lift or move the engine and if you see any cracks or seperation this indicates the affected mounts need replaced.
Thanks Pete