Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Mondeo: Matt, I have Ford Mondeo and last year in july there

Customer Question

Hi Matt, I have Ford Mondeo and last year in july there were brake discs and pads replaced - all 4. After that I received car and I thought the hand brake was a bit weak but since it's 10 years old car I thought it's normal that I have to pull all the way up. Now the car started to judder when braking and when I took it back to the garage, they say that caliper slipped on the dick and damaged it. Should the garage check the caliper when they were fighting discs and pads? I mean, is it normal procedure to do that?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.
Hi..there..

I note you mention the caliper slipping on the disc..that should never happen unless the caliper wasnt actually refitted back properly,or during disc renewal the mounting bracket bolts wernt fully tight as you have to remove that to get the disc off and the new one after being fully cleaned of the protection grease film with brake cleaner/clean cloth.once the mating surfaces on the hub to disc is fully clean then the new disc can be mounted and the small holding screw refitted.then the caliper mounting bracket can then be refitted the two bolts fully tight to spec,Nm as per manufacturer - the caliper after been wound back is then refitted with the new pads in place and is held to the caliper mounting bracket via two slide pin fixings top and bottom and thats all that holds it there.normally these calipers are self adjusting by simply pressing on the foot brake until they seat in then the handbrake applied and readjusted is required at the handbrake.so it strange as to why you need to replace discs again in that very short period of time...if the new discs are damaged in some way which you dont mention what the extent of the damage is? - then something clearly hasnt been refitted properly or was out of alignment for that to happen..I do hope this helps..if you require to ask anything further then please do before you rate