Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Ford transit: Mike,My van (late 90's, Transit)

Customer Question

Hi Mike, My van (late 90's, Transit) developed a problem... the idle rpm is about 1200 where it should be 800.On touching the accelerator it sometimes goes back to 800. The van also kept idling at a red light and there was absolutely no throttle response , none ! on stopping and starting the engine the problem went away. Could this be the throttle sensor as some have suggested ? Cheers Patrick

edit : while this was going on the glow plug indicator flashed

edit 2:  scrap late 90's van is from 2003 , 2.4 TD 125 hp

Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
From what you have described here this sounds like a fault with the electronic throttle body itself or accelerator pedal.The glow plug light flashing usually indicates a fault with one or more of the glow plugs themselves causing this issue needing replaced.
What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set and then from there the codes can be diagnosed to locate and repair this issue.This will need to be done with a scan tool or computer that can plug in and communicate with all of the computers in your vehicle.The scan tool/computer is also used to monitor the data from the accelerator pedal sensor and throttle body to help determine which is the cause here.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Pete, thanks for your replay, but since no answer was forthcoming and the pedal was replaced today, I retracted the question.

Thanks

Patrick