Greg
Greg, Shop Owner
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,
29331485

Mitsubishi Lancer: I have a 2001 mitsubishi lancer and everytime

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2001 mitsubishi lancer and everytime the engine is cold and I start the car and if it drops about 500rpm the car will cut out... in order to stop it cutting out I've to rev it for bou 20 minutes.
I had a mechanic look at it who said dat the spark plugs need changing so I done that but still have the same problem and mechanic doesn't know wat else it cud be
any ideas
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Have your machanic check the throttle body and IAC (Idle Air Control )

When this gets fould up with carbon will cause you a stalling issue and low idle .

Have him check for malfunctioin codes if the check engine light is ON whhen the engine is running you may have another issue causing you this issue .

Clean the throttle body out if covered in black carbon ,use throttle body clearner or brake cleaner to clean out the TB use a old tooth brush and a rag using your finger to get the bore and plate clean ,screw out the IAC clean the pintle and bore where it sits

The put all back together and test if still having an issue use a scan tool to see if you can activate and control the IAC .as this may be the problem if still having an issue after cleaning .

Please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.

If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .

Kind regards Greg.