Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Volkswagen Transporter Caravelle: I have a 2002 VW Transporter

Customer Question

I have a 2002 VW Transporter Caravelle, 2.5 TDi which has for long time now been a difficult starter. Whether the weather is hot or cold, it turns over well but is difficult to start. I thought I had found the problem when I removed the fuel pump at the side of the fuel tank. I put it to a battery and it spat once but did not keep running. I bought a new pump from VW, cost a mint, and fitted it but it was still not pumping through the filter to the injection pump. I removed the pump again and put a multimeter to the pump power leads, and no power whatsoever. I guess I should have done that first. I have checked all the fuses and all are OK, but my manual is a general transporter manual and I cannot therefore identify the correct relay for the fuel pump. Could you please help me identify which is the correct relay. I took a photo of the fuseboard when it was still light. Also, is it normal that the pump would spit once and not run continuously when there is not fuel behind it? Hope you can help, many thanks, Dave
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
On some models the pump will only run for a second or two with the key on then start to run again when cranking over the engine.I would re check the power and ground to it when cranking over the engine and see if the pump then operates.If it does not still then I would check for any broken wiring leading to the pump itself as I have seen before.
If this is all checked and found o.k. let me know.
Thanks Pete