Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw /audi specialist
84635724

Volvo V50: HiI have a Volvo V50 which is in limp home mode

Customer Question

Hi
I have a Volvo V50 which is in limp home mode with engine management warning light
This has been a recurring problem for about a year now. I had a mechanic investigate before and there was a bad earth on a sensor and a vacuum pipe had been damaged by an oil leak and kept coming off when parked. After this the car was great for about a week then went into limp home mode a couple of times but would come out if turned off and restarted. But now it is in permanent limp home mode. NOt sure what to do now.
Steve
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Kevin do you have any codes from car ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't. I borrowed a code reader but it wasn't a volvo one - can you recommend a reader that will recognise volvo codes please.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
There are many different types of scanner are available but you need something specific I use a launch system covers quite well but is not particularly cheap
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah bit pricey at £140.I'm wondering if one of the vacuum hoses has come off again. A mechanic I use is suggesting I get a full vacuum pipe replacement set from volvo and he'll replace them. Seems like a guess and they wont be cheap.Do you know if I can get a routing diagram for the hoses to check they're all ok?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you speak to a Volvo parts department and ask they can send you this by email . I would need codes to help you further properly it to be fair does sound like a guess if you can get me codes I can advise you better