Trevor
Trevor, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  NVQ 3, Modern Apprenticeship, MOT Tester, 15+ years experience diagnostic technician
15853224

Nissan/Datsun primastar: nissan primastar van 2005 dci 1.9.

Customer Question

nissan primastar van 2005 dci 1.9. just had fuel lines replaced, new fuel filter, erg valve cleaned, maf senser cleaned. problem i have is now the van is sluggish but high revs. so almost 3000 revs to get 25mph to change gear... before if doing 30mph rev would be 2000, now just above. van was not like this before, drives fine apart from loads of revs to get up to speed, also when just driven up a steep hill at top when hill levels out, ikf i stop due to traffic or lights the engine warning light comes on. i turn engine off ,then back on warning light has reset and all fine, but this happens everytime on a hill.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Trevor replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to just answer.
My name is***** try to assist you here.
Hi
Welcome to just answer
What was the reason for the egr being cleaned? Was it stuck open?
Trev
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dont know, garage said that they cleaned it, i assumed it was dirty.
Expert:  Trevor replied 1 year ago.
Hi
With these engines if the egr valve sticks open, it recirculates hot gases back to the mass airflow sensor, which burns it out, I'm assuming that the high revs at lower speeds are due to the lack of power causing you to change gear at a higher revs, this would tie in with the burned out air mass meter, even tough it was cleaned, I would suggest this is faulty, as dirt has very little effect on the air flow meter as it works on resistance caused by heat on a small wire which is cooled by passing air, so soot makes very little difference, the heat however can damage this wire, and cleaning it cannot fix it, and can even damage it further.
Check this first, if in doubt change it.
Hope this helps
If you need more help, please let me know.
Trev