sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Volvo S80: !I have Volvo s80 II 2007 with automatic

Customer Question

Hello!
I have Volvo s80 II 2007 with automatic transmission. I have some problem with electric system. Car doesn't start, it doesn't know if key is insert, it doesn't lock steering wheel, there are 5 warning messages for engine, transmission, everything! It has started few times and when it starts it has 1500 rpm. Car also doesn't know which gear is selected.
I replace battery, problems are still here. I check fuses, everything ok. I check negative on engine, body, everything ok.
Please help.
Is possible that CEM is fault? If I buy CEM, ECU and Key from other car and replace it, will it works? What if car was RHD (my is LHD). Must be CEM for exactly car like mine?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if you have a vehicle communication issue. It will take some electrical testing to see exactly what is going on.

All modules communicate with each other over a wired bus communication network. If the network shorts to power or ground or communication is otherwise corrupted due to an internal module failure or a short to power or ground on the circuits then it will prevent modules from communicating with each other and it will cause symptoms such as you are having.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool to see if all modules communicate. If not then bus diagnostics will need to be done, which will involve determining how it's shorted and most likely modules will need to be disconnected one at a time.