sean
sean, Car and LCV technician
Experience:  UK City & Guilds qualified with 30 years experience
31670004

Good Evening, In Jan 2014 my S Max (60 plate,2011 model) was

Customer Question

Good Evening, In Jan 2014 my S Max (60 plate,2011 model) was found to have a corroded wiring loom which was traced back to an incorrectly fitted windscreen back in 2013.
The drivers footwell was swimming in water and a small amount was found in the rear passenger side.
It took six months to be fixed due to lack of wiring looms.
It was driven onto our drive the night before we were to go away on holiday so we were unable to test it properly.
My questions which I have not been able to get an answer are : How long does it take to fit a wiring loom and what is the difference between replace (£1250) and repair (£950 apart from the cost).?
After 5 weeks the key fobs lost their pairing and continue to do so (both had new batteries put into them in 2013). What would cause this? The garage say that it is the car battery that has failed.Could this be because it had been sitting for nearly seven months unused?.
Also when it was in the garage the handbrake was applied ,have photo showing this. Would this attribute to the shoes crumbling after another three months of non use but chocked?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sean replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I hope the following assists you.
The labour time for replacing the wiring loom depends on which loom is replaced. The loom inside the car is split in 2, there is a loom behind the instrument panel and dashboard the official time for replacing this is 5.3 hours. The passenger compartment wiring harness that runs from the dash to the rear of the car and seats ETC has a replacement time of 6.2 hours.
Depending on where the corrosion occurred repairing the loom can be much quicker as you may not have to remove the interior of the car. Replacement is better as then there is no chance of another section of the loom being corroded.
It shouldn't take such a long time to obtain any wiring looms as the car is relatively new the looms are still in production, even a worse case scenario would mean a loom took about a month to arrive from Ford.
The vehicle battery will discharge if the vehicle is idle as it is not been charged as it would be when the engine is running. Even when idle the vehicle continues to use electrical power hence the battery discharging. If the car is stood for months the best option is to disconnect the battery. The key fobs don't usually lose their codes for no reason it may be the battery doing this or perhaps an unrelated issue.
If the car was parked for months it shouldn't have the hand brake applied as after such a long time when you release the hand brake the chances are the brake pads will be stuck which if driven in this condition will cause them to become too hot and the friction material will break up.
I hope this helps but if you have more questions regarding this let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.
Best wishes,
Sean.