Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

93 ttid aero: i have just bought a saab 93 ttid aero 2008,

Customer Question

Hi i have just bought a saab 93 ttid aero 2008, driving it home after 10 miles and the dash came up with limited performance
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, when the message came up after 10 miles of driving, i had to drive a further 20 miles to get home. The car drive fine no loss of power although i drove carefully and watched gauages and no other warning light came on , and got home. There was no juddering or indication of a problem and eveb accerlerated on one occassion as a safety issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please come back to me quickly, last time i used your services i waited over 12 hours and gave up and sought advice elsewhere, so dont let me down again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to pay for an expert to settle my mind on my current position before i. Try and went to bed. Not. The case it seems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forget it i will take my car to a garage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You advertise 24/7 service, and your msg , you,ll get a response often 10 mins or less and then within a day is vague to say the least. Not happy
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
sorry that you've had to wait,
1st consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this will reduce pressure.
If both of these are OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.
If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly
If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve
Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home
Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked
Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.
If the above are all OK then try checking for airleaks after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and leans the engine out causing rough running. As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometime hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.
Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.
The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.
Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.
if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty
its also worth cleaning the airflow meter by removing it from the car and spraying the exposed sensor wires inside the tube with a brake or switch cleaner - ensure that the cleaner is one of the old fashioned, non Eco type that does not leave a residue
On no account touch the sensor wires with anything physical as they are extremely fragile
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help ?