Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Audi TT: I have a 2004 audi TT 18t Last night when drivin

Customer Question

I have a 2004 audi TT 18t
Last night when drivin home it lost power and greyish smoke was bellowing out if it
It stopped as I slowed down and I got home
I checked basics and found ther was no oil in it I topped it up thinking it was that but again today it has done it again
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello
The first thing I'd check is the crankcase pressure relief valve (PCV) these are sprung loaded and are only meant to 'burp' excess pressure every now and then. The exiting gas is piped back to the inlet , however should the valve stick open then the engine tends to suck the air out of the crankcase all the time and this carries oil over with it.
If you remove the air intake pipe and look inside where the crankcase breather is plumbed in you may find evidence of oil.
If you do find oil replace the valve.
Also check inside the intake just after the turbo for any signs of oil as this would be an indication that the turbo oil seal is starting to fail and a replacement / rebuilt turbo may well be required. Have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal
an engine flush may also help if you've got a sticking oil scraper ring so its worth a go, as for the oil if you go up a grade / use slightly thicker oil then this is less readily drawn into gaps and less likely to be burnt off
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hi
do you still need help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You was wrong bud
It was my turbo
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.
So the part where I said
'check inside the intake just after the turbo for any signs of oil as this would be an indication that the turbo oil seal is starting to fail and a replacement / rebuilt turbo may well be required. Have a feel of the turbine wheel - there should be no play radially at all - but a little bit of axial / end to end float is normal'
didn't apply then?