Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Hey matt, I've an issue with a vivaro van. It's a fresh engi

Customer Question

hey matt, I've an issue with a vivaro van. It's a fresh engine but it's burning a lot of oil. I've fitted an oil catch tank into the oil breather to inlet pipe and it'll fill the tank within 50 miles? I've a new oil separator on order for pickup tomorrow but after much money I'm about to give up!
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the oil catch tank is around 1litre capacity btw
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
From what you have described here this sounds like an issue with the oil rings on the pistons as I have seen these fail and cause this here.Even with a fresh/new engine the engine may have been rebuilt incorrectly and the oil rings may have been damaged when they were installed or installed incorrectly.If this only occurred after the new engine or engine rebuild I would have the engine inspected to locate the fault which may involve disassembling the engine for repair then see if the place that either rebuilt the engine or you bought the engine from will cover the costs.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I waited around 11 hours for this? Thanks. If the oil rings had failed then the engine would be about to seize up! the engine is running perfectly and shows no signs of a lack of oil! Either the oil separator is at fault or there is a glazing of the bores from fully synthetic oil going on. If the engine was running dry it would be sounding terrible. Not an answer worth £0.01 I'd like a refund.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize my answer didn't help here.If you want I can open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this just let me know if this is something you would like to do.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a refund would be better. If what you said were true the engine would barely start, smoke like a trooper and sound terrible. I'd have probably mentioned that wouldn't I?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
You would still have compression so the engine would still run as the compression rings would be o.k. and if only a slight amount of damage on one or more oil rings is an issue this can cause this type of fault here in some cases.
If you still want I can send this to customer service for you just let me know.
Thanks Pete