Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Ford FT 150 L: My ford Transit 2.5D doesn't start

Customer Question

My ford Transit 2.5D doesn't start
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
My info is limited on your model here but I see no one else has responded and thought I would see if I can help here.
From what is described here this may be a possible fault with the electronic ignition switch itself.I have seen this switch fail or act up like this here on other models in the past before and had to replace it.If this has not been tested to see if this is the cause here for sure this needs done.If found to be the fault it will need replaced.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,I am not sure exactly what you refer to, but as this is a diesel engine it lacks an ignition in the sense of an ordinary car. Also as this model is quite old the amount of electronics is certainly very limited in this engine. Also in my view it doesn't explain the unlit dashboard lights.Niklas
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Is the starter engaging at all to turn over the engine?Is it the dash lights that usually light up with the key on that is not lighting up now with the key on now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the starter engine sounds and seems to work fine. And yes you are right, the dash lights which usually light up do not do that now when I turn the key on. All other electrical appliances seem to work, but not those that depend on the key being turned on. I am investigating the possibility that it simply is the key switch itself. My basic problem, and the reason why I ended up asking you is that I am unable to find an electrical wiring plan for this car. My hope was that you would have access to one.Niklas
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I don't have the diagram on this model here but this does sound like the common fault of the key switch itself or as posted above it is the same as the electronic ignition switch.I have seen the key/ignition switch fail before in the past and had to replace it for issues like this here and this does sound like what needs replaced.This switch tends to fail over time due to being switched off and on several times over the life of it and they all usually need replaced at one point.
Thanks Pete