sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Mitsubishi pajero: 'I have episodic starting failure

Customer Question

hello `I have episodic starting failure after short journey when key goes to second (starting position) dash lights go dim and no starter engagment occurs after a while it will kick in ,1994 lwb 2.8 pajero
Gary
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are a handful of things that could be causing the issue but it sounds as if the starter itself is the problem. If lights are dimming that tells you that the starter is most likely being powered but isn't engaging.

What you'll want to do is a voltage drop test on the starter positive cable at the time the problem is happening as well as checking for voltage on the small wire at the solenoid. If both are good then the starter can be condemned.