sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Peugeot 307: there, I've got a 1.6 307. I was driving to

Customer Question

Hi there, I've got a 1.6 307. I was driving to work on Wednesday, and all of a sudden I saw loads of white smoke behind me. I pulled over immediately and oil was leaking from the gearbox. Oil had exploded onto exhaust and caused the white smoke. There was no vibration/noise/ or any difference in driving.
as there is oil everywhere its hard to determine where it has came from. (I've suspected drivers drive shaft seal) however i've replaced this seal and refilled oil and it immediately drips out.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few places where the fluid could be leaking from and if it's leaking that badly then it shouldn't be that difficult to locate the source. It could be leaking from the case itself, a cooler line, it could be leaking out of the bellhousing due to a leaking pump seal or the torque converter. If it's streaming out without driving it then you have a pressurized leak.

What I would recommend is first cleaning up any residual fluid using brake cleaner. ONce the transmission is cleaned up then with the fluid filled, run the engine and try to locate the source of the leak. It may be necessary to use UV tracer dye and a UV light, but if you can see the fluid streaming out while it's running then that probably won't be necessary.