Richard, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  12 years as a technician at a Ford and Jaguar dealer Ford and Jaguar factory certified
10437779

I have a 3ltr Jag XF whic occasionally shows GEARBOX FAULT

Customer Question

I have a 3ltr Jag XF whic occasionally shows GEARBOX FAULT and then goes int limp mode. If I stop the car and restart the problem goes away. Any Ideas please ?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com
It can be a software issue in the TCM that will need to be updated. We really need to have the stored fault codes read to see what repair procedures will apply to the vehicle and faults. Jaguar usually will offer assistance on major repairs when needed if you qualify. First I will need to know what the codes are and also your VIN. Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As the dealership have referred it to Jaguar for help with costs, I assume it is going to be an expensive repair and not just software. You said Jag would help if I qualify. Can you tell me what the criteria are to 'qualify' ? And if I dont qualify who is it best to complain to ? and what my be the issues they listen to ? My log book is at my work so wont have vin no. till tommorow
Thanks!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
As long as the maintenance has been done even though there is no maintaince on the transmission. You can contact jaguar customer relations centre yourself if they don't offer assistance. Let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have collected my car (which is still driveable) from the dealership. They say it needs a new gearbox :-( and are waiting a response re a contribution from Jaguar. The VIN Number is ***** First registered 29 Jan 2010They have given me a page of fault codes most of which seem minor except the one at the top of the page which is:-
P2704-07 (DTC) TCM (ECU) Transmission Friction Element E Apply Time Range/Performance - Mechanical Failures.The dealership told me there had been a 'notification' (not the right word) from Jaguar with regard to this fault code. They have told me they will call me when Jaguar come back them. I would appreciate any advice you can give me in the meantime.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok yes I would agree with them that the problem is internal in the gearbox. This was an alert about this. Hopefully Jag will offer some kind of assistance on this.