Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Kia sorento XT: I have an issue with the speedometer needle

Customer Question

I have an issue with the speedometer needle bouncing erratically when driving. Sometimes it is fine but suddenly jumps about, relative to bumps in the road. There doesn't seem to be any other issues with regards ***** ***** the car drives. What could possible causes be. Thanks in advance.
Marc
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Since there are no running or shifting issues with the speedometer issue here this sounds like either an internal electrical connection fault inside the instrument cluster itself needing removed and repaired or replaced or a fault with the wiring connection at the cluster on the dash.If this was a speed sensor issue or wiring issue from the sensor the transmission wouldn't shift properly.This will need to be checked/tested further to pinpoint the cause and then repaired from there.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi thanks for replying. So is there any way of checking whether it is a cluster connector issue. Had the cluster out to check connections were not loose. Is there anything I should look for behind

Speedo as all other gauges work as they should.

thanks

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If the connections are tight in some cases you can drive the vehicle and tap on the dash or cluster and if the needle then flickers or stops flickering if it is flickering now then this indicates an internal fault in the cluster needing either removed and repaired by an authorized repair center or removed and replaced.
Other testing would need done with a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with your vehicles computers to see if the data for the speedometer matches what the actual needle is doing,if it does not this usually indicates the cluster at fault.
Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete