Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

Ford S-Max: Sean, I've had an S-max yrs now. We bought

Customer Question

Hi Sean, I've had an S-max for 2 yrs now. We bought it in 2013, it was 1 year old, previous owner was the Ford dealership we bought it from. We had to get the steering rack replaced after only a month of driving as the car was pulling to the left. It's 2 years since then and last week the steering wheel started catching occasionally when turning the wheel to the right. Not all the time just sometimes. And not locking completely, like I said just catching a bit. It's back in the garage and they've told us we need another steering rack. Is this normal? I'm afraid the garage lied to us and sold us a crashed car and that something is warped causing these problems. Quite upset that I might be driving my small kids around in a death trap. Any suggestions would be so welcome!
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hi I. Kevin it is unusual to get steering rack failure in this model I wonder weather there is an underlying problem causing this problem to occur. Was the original steering rack repaired or replaced for brand new unit from ford also has fluid been checked for and swarf as if and metal particles are present this will cause repeat failure