Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

Chevrolet g-30 van: I need to change the ac v-belt on my chevy

Customer Question

I need to change the ac v-belt on my chevy van
It is a 1993 engine, and i have loosened to bolts in the front and one in the back of the ac-component, but it is still nor loose so that i can put the new belt on. Is it any more bolts I must release, or is it a technique that i don't understand?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today. Which engine is in it?.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6,2 l diesel, 1993-model, with ac-compressor pulley that i can't loosen.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
I see, thanks. They normally do have another bolt in the back part of the compressor bracket. A 15mm bolt that is hard to actually see from the top. It should be right next to (and slightly below) the other one in the rear of the compressor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a picture of the rear of the ac-compressor. You can see the bolt that runs there, but which of those other bolts should I loosen?
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
The one on the left in the picture, of course but there is a pivot bolt on the opposite end of it and another slider bolt toward the inside at the back. I can really only see half of it in the picture though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The one on the left that runs in a slide is loose. (and so are the two bolts in front that runs in a slide). And in addition there is this pipe that is fastened in the middle of the rear side, there is this bolt to the right of the slide bolt and there is one bolt in each of the 4 corners of the rear side. The pipe that is there, must I take it off? Or this bolt to the right of the slide bolt, that is hard to come to, since it has a circular "top" outside the nut.??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anyway. As i can see it, the only things that is run by this belt alone is the ac-compressor. Does this mean that it is ok to use the vehicle without this belt, but the ac will of course not function. But can i do any damage to the car otherwise, driving without the ac- belt?
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Not at all, it just won't have AC until there is a belt on it and it si charged up and working as intended, thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to find out bout the ac-belt anyway of course....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanx for the information regarding the vehicles ability to drive, even without the ac-belt. But I don't think the information regarding the changing of the belt was that satisfying. I can't loosen the nut with the circular top, and i really don't understand what to loosen.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Original post _"They normally do have another bolt in the back part of the compressor bracket. A 15mm bolt that is hard to actually see from the top. It should be right next to (and slightly below) the other one in the rear of the compressor.".When you look from the bottom, it will be on the engine side of the AC compressor bracket, 15mm and goes into the compressor. You can't take the one with the rounded top off, that is a pressure relief valve.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant get to it from the bottom, and I can not see any bolts that goes into the compressor.......
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
That is all the information that I have on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it..*******YOU CAN ALWAYS GET A REFUND WITHOUT RATING THE ANSWER AS BAD OR THE SERVICE AS POOR ******** ..