Enes, Volvo Technician
Experience:  15 Years Volvo Master Mechanic

Volvo xc90: Hi just about to buy an xc90 2010 and looked in

Hi just about to buy an xc90 2010 and looked in the boot - the cover on the battery is corroded. have asked the guy to take a look at it - he seemed to think it could just be corrosion on the cover and thought the battery was fine... Does it need replacing. there also looks to be wear on the brake discs - the front look fine, but the back more wear. I'm a little concerned about this, but don't know if I'm being over the top - the car has done 21k miles. many thanks
Hello and welcome to my name isXXXXX a Certified Volvo Car Expert Mechanic.I'm going to try to help you find the help you need. Corrosion around battery In most cases will need new battery from what you saying. As far it goes brakes thry do wear out fast the xc90 is very heavy. So life of brakes on those guess from 2oooo 25000 miles before they wear out so you have observed correct that brakes are low . Also I would make sure there are no oil leaks under car that can get expesive if you have oil leaks other than that car is very reliable and good
If you have follow up question reply back here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you - so would it be reasonable to make sure the battery is replaced before buying as this is an obvious sign that the battery is damaged or going to die?

Would it definitely be a sign that the brakes are low - as I know obviously disc brakes rust anyway normally... There was no report on the MOT of low brakes. Many thanks

Yes I would replace battery for sure .rust on brakes can go away as you start sewing if you don't have much rust on disc . If the pads are low in most cases you need new pads and disc at same time close up inspection removing wheel will give you better idea