Mike , UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

VW Polo: Our VW Polo yr 2000 has had its left side external

Our VW Polo yr 2000 has had its left side external electric mirror damaged. I`ve got a replacement, but wiring is not the same. Wires on the new mirror are:brown, red w/black stripe, white, black and blue. Wires from the car, ie the adjuster button, are: white, brown, light grey,deep purple, weak purple w/deep purple stripe. Can you please tell me how to connect the wires correcly? Thanks! HG Kristiansen, Oslo, Norway

Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name isXXXXX happy to help you -

Looking at your picture confirms that someone in the past has for some odd reason cut off the original plug / socket for the wiring - and fitted those "splice" fittings to the wires..

Why this has happened I just do not know - but you are faced with the situation now of having to trace the circuits "manually" to wire it up...you have no way of matching the wires as they are all different and you have no plugs.

So to do this you need a meter or test bulb (12v)... you then need to probe each wire - and then operate one of the circuits - be it adjustment of the mirror - up / down - right / left ... and if it has a heater element too - So do the same with each wire. Once you know which has which operation - touch it on to each of the mirror wires - one at a time until the mirror does what the "control button " is telling it it should be doing - Once you ID the correct wire to connect to - connect the wire to it - then work through the others, one by one in the same way.

That is the only way to do this now as there are no plugs to connect to - It sounds a lot of work but actually its not - it won't take long at all do it.

Best Rgds - MIKE.

.................. Please do click on the OK / Excellent ratings button for me now - as thats how Im credited for helping you - Thank you in advance for that.

You can get back to me anytime you might need too after that - you are always welcome. Clicking the OK ratings does not close you out.

Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, Mike.

I will try what you suggest. Sort of expected that. Connectors of the mirror and car did not match, that`s why I put new connectors on so I could juggle..

Cheers

Hans

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Hans -

Thank you for your reply....

Its the only way Hans - as the plug has been chopped off -- Had it had the plug on the car- whatever the colours of the mirror wires were it wouldn't have mattered - it would have worked plugged in -- but as it is - you have to ID each circuit the way I have described - the colours on the new mirror wiring just doesn't help at all in this case...

I hope all goes well for you - Im sure it will..

All the best , MIKE.