Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Land Rover Discovery: Hi, My 2003 Discovery will unlock with

Hi, My 2003 Discovery will unlock with the key in the door, but won't unlock remotely. However, it will lock remotely. Also, the central lock / unlock swith will not unlock or lock any of the doors although i hear it trying (clicking). Is this something I can fix myself?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE...

If on the interior lock switch, when used, you can hear the relays clicking - then the switch is ok... but do check in both positions - lock / unlock. If its not clicking in the one position - the switch may be faulty and is suspect.

Do the same with the buttons on the remote - sometimes the remote inside fails on the one button... try your spare if you have one to rule that out - or in. If not - a local garage or shop can test the remote for you.

If its neither of the above - then the circuit needs properly checking to inc the wiring to the door / s... and check especially the wiring inside the rubber tubing that carries the wiring from the body to the different doors.. often its found to be a wiring problem in one of the tubes.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It turns out its the wiring...all 4 doors need new actuators. Is this something I can easily do myself or is it worth having a pro do it?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again - Sorry I dont have your name..

It is something that a reasonably knowledgeable mech can do with a reasonable set of tools - just to remove the door panels etc and the parts - I obviously don't know your skill set - but there is not much to it - its more a time consuming thing than anything.... but if you don't feel you wish to do it , any small type / local garage can do that for you - which is considerably less cost in labour than a specialist or dealer...

Best Rgds, MIKE.

..........Please do click on the OK / Excellent ratings system for now at this point - Thank you in advance for that -

Please note - If you do need to get back to me , you can do so at any time - clicking the OK ratings does not close you out at all.. Thank you..

Kind Rgds, MIKE.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, Mike.

Would the small type / local garage need to specialize in UK / Import cars or could any local shop here in the states do the job?

Also, any idea what I should pay for this? Ballpark guess is fine...

Thanks again,

-Micah

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi again..

Thank you for your reply / message..

Any decent garage / shop - small type / non dealer should be able to do that for you - you have the LR's as LH drive models there - they should see them and work on them - and too - the type of job it is, its kind of "logical" work to any shop really - they wouldn't need to specialize in imports or LR's even no...

If you find one shop wont / cant do it... just find one that will - Im sure you wont have any trouble....

As to price / cost - I can't really answer that with any degree of certainty as all shops charge different hourly rates -so it alters among them all - What I would suggest is to get prices off them before the job is agreed - that way, there are no nasty surprises..

As a guide though - ( a ballpark "help"... ).. each door "job" should take around an hour to an hour and a half.. so that gives you an idea when they quote the "Hourly" rates for you ....

I hope that all helps you further..

Please dont forget to click on the OK ratings for me as thats how I am credited for helping you .. Thank You again..

Best Rgds, MIKE.
Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THANKS, MIKE! YOU'VE BEEN A GREAT HELP!