Mike , UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.
9261905

Jaguar Soverern: The glove compartment is stuck in the closed

Customer Question

The glove compartment is stuck in the closed position and I am unable to open with turning or key. It is a Jaguar Soverern 1990 model
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Walt-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE...

Im sorry to hear of the problems you are having -

Im afraid that with this model - as you have the issue you have, it can only be got open by some force - using a tool / screwdriver etc to either force the lock or force the side of the glove box so that it unlatches. Its not a very "secure" latch mechanism so with some careful "tooling" it can be done - often it needs a new lock ... but - do try some WD40 or similar in the lock itself first as it may just be the lock itself that has seized - as opposed to the actual mechanism.. Often its worth several "doses" of that - over a couple of hours giving it time to work - so I would suggest to try that first - as the other option - the "manual" opening as above - often results in having to replace the whole lid / lock - Let me know how you get on... Im sorry there is no easy tech "fix" for this- you will need to proceed as above..or- you may find a local locksmith helpful should you wish to utilize their services.. they do have the intricate tools for the lock itself...( just another idea should you not wish to to do the above yourself )

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Mike, UK Car Mechanic
Experience: Hi, I am a Car/ vehicle technician of 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.